Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

An Writer's Analysis (with a bit of Psychology behind it)

I know that last time I promised a third instillation on the concept of procrastination and the deeper roots it has in human nature.  However, by order of the higher powers (okay, fine, my teacher), I will analyze my writing so far in this blog.

For the intents and purposes of this blog, I will use the second post, "Are You Afraid?" and the fourth post, "I'll Get to It......Eventually."  I believe that the former is the strongest of my blog posts, while the latter is one of my weaker ones.  Of course this is completely subjective so if anyone thinks otherwise, feel free to comment.

Anyways, of what I believe is working (between both of these posts):

I think the increased personal tone of the second post in comparison to the first serves as a much better.  The analogy and comparisons used in the first post were also extremely beneficial to the quality of the writing.  I also prefer the idea of having a conclusive resolve at the end of the post, rather than stretching a concept throughout a few weeks, surprisingly enough, procrastination is a subject that is actually very, very deep. The objectivity of the first post also improved the quality of the content.

As to what is not working:

The tone in the second post was also rather informal, which limited me.  The lack of conclusions as of late has not worked out too well also.  Also, when giving examples or anecdotes, I believe too much of the post focuses on that rather than the analysis.  While this may be more entertaining, I must find a way to balance out content and style.

So what exactly are the improvements I want to do?

Well, first off, more creativity in the blog post formats would be a great idea.  I liked writing that analogy for the "Fear" post, and I think ideas like that are ones that I should pursue. Secondly, focusing on deeper analysis for more penetrating content would be a good stride as well.  Other than that, varied syntax and deeper resolves would give my work a much stronger voice.

If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know.  I am writing this out of my own musings, but I am certainly not closed to what other people want to read as well.

3 comments:

  1. I'm such a procrastinator I wait until the last minute for everything. A bad habit of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to procrastinate when I'm really tired. I try not to, but I just can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Procrastination, I'm sad o say, is also a terrible habit of mine ! it's so easy to push something to the side when it's not due right away. Although, I do feel like I work better under pressure. Does anyone else feel that way too?

    ReplyDelete