Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Are You Afraid?

So, imagine for a second, you are in a crowd of people, many of which you do not know, but some you do.  Then suddenly, one of your friends comes and tells you that the crowd is about to be captured by, let's say, the government.  You ask where did they find that out, and they will tell you they heard it from someone in the front of the crowd.

Now, if this is true, you do not have much time.  You have to let everyone know what is going on, to warn everyone that something disastrous is about to occur.  You tell the person next to you, the one in front of you, the people behind you, and you make sure that they spread the word around to everyone else.

Phase three of what happens is that people begin to panic.  They begin to ask "Why is this happening?" and "We need to get out!"  The crowd becomes restless, and eventually, the second someone says something different, they are immediately ignored.  Finally, the fuse it set off -- everyone begins to act frantically, run around, and freak out about imprisonment.

That is until one lone person stands up, yells at everyone to stop, and directs everyone to point their blame on the government.

And there you have it -- alas, fear prevails again.  Well actually, that was also a demonstration of mob psychology (a different topic for another day).  Did anyone bother to ask if there was any other evidence besides spoken word?  Or how about looking at another perspective, at an argument that stated that the metaphorical British were not coming?

This is the way fear works -- to wrap around the mind and touch the irrational -- is all too effective at dictating what people do.  After all, why else would anyone throw salt over their shoulder if they did not feel the world was out to spite them.

The ability of fear to triumph over reason has been used throughout history for the good and the bad (and the grey).  And it has been used to create extreme intrigue, topple empires, establish religions, and even to this day, fear encourages parents to train their children with Mozart in the womb, if only for their bloodline's failure.

As a psychological tool, it can be used to determine the composure of any human being, or to persuade any person to bring others to their side, no matter how ridiculous it is.  Such was the case in the youth of America, where young women who were considered different fell victim to the fear of colonists -- and thus were hanged as witches on the grounds of Salem.

But whether it be "government death panels" or "global warming is burning the world," fear will always be one of the strongest deterrents and rally points in any civilization.  An achilles' heel for the logical and the plain, while extremely neurotic and sadly persistent, is an integral part of the human condition.

10 comments:

  1. Hi! Before reading this blog, i have never thought about the sheer concept of fear so much as i did right now. I never had an idea of how much fear affects one's psyche. I never had any idea how much it affects one's ability to think and be rational

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing short of what I expected from you, Jobel. Nothing short. I like your blog though (shocking right?). It's interesting, what you're writing, and I am anxiously awaiting your next post (not really, just waiting).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is very interesting. And yes, I would be terrified. This has a lot of information and I can't wait to learn and read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always considered fear as a complicated emotion that is instilled in everyone and is usually turned on by certain rational cases. I agree with you a hundred percent that fear can be used as a tool to mess with peoples' minds. The overall post is very insightful and interesting. I can't wait to see what else you have for us to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely see your point but I can't help but think that in the made-up scenario that you just described, I'd want to leave the scene just in case what the people were saying was really true. Yes, this is driven by fear, but that doesn't necessarily make it the "wrong" choice in a situation like that. Nor does it make leaving irrational. I would probably be thinking "better safe than sorry." You know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fear has always been an extremely interesting concept to me. In fact, psychology in general. The way people work, it's amazing.
    I completely agree that fear is indeed and extremely powerful tool that has grown out of human evolution, originally engineered for the safety of our being. However at this point, it can easily be taken advantage of and can sometimes be more of a burden than an evolutionary advantage.
    Personally, I almost never believe anything I hear without a reasonable 'Why?' or 'How?'. Sometimes the person telling you something even remotely questionable doesn't have an answer and the basis for truth of that statement is shattered. EZPZ.
    I believe that fear plays a greater part in our lives than most people realize. Even the way we develop from childhood, the fears and insecurities we have, or lack of, are what dictate what kind of people we fundamentally become.
    Fear of certain things, and most importantly of the unknown, is what drives us to be who we are, usually without us realizing it.
    Erm, so I guess what I mean is...
    y4H i 4gRe3.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being a fan of 2nd person postings myself I was happy to read the first part and became really captured until the end. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I would just like to say that I like you're style of writing. :) And I never really saw that kind of perspective before. I think when I encounter my fears I become very vulnerable and extremely sensitive :o

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jobel,

    Great job,again! Your blog post is thought provoking and, in a short word, epic. Great job! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading another one of your posts. Your style of writing is fantastic. Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts on your blog.

    ReplyDelete